Powered By Blogger

Sunday 27 November 2011

Favourite Poetry. [ An Occasional Series ]

I have always loved poetry . Even as a very young child I was fascinated by the rhymes in childrens books and as I grew older I was captivated by  a poems ability to perfectly describe my feelings . To make me laugh , cry or simply to think more carefully about the world around me . Unfortunately my own feeble attempts at poetry have never lived up to my expectations and  I am in awe of  anyone  who can master the art.
However, I still love to read poetry and , with that in mind,  I have decided to share a few of my favourite verses and maybe inspire some of you to do the same . And so I start this series with a poem by the American , Robert Frost , for no other reason than it came to me during the rainstorm last night.


                                                      Acquainted with the Night

                                                            by Robert Frost


                                        I have been one acquainted with the night
                                        I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
                                        I have outwalked the furthest city light.

                                        I have looked down the saddest city lane.
                                        I have passed by the watchman on his beat
                                        And dropped my eyes , unwilling to explain.

                                        I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
                                        When far away an interrupted cry
                                        Came over  houses from another street,

                                        But not to call me back or say goodbye;
                                        And further still at an unearthly height,
                                        O luminary clock against the sky

                                        Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
                                        I have been one acquainted with the night.


This poem has kept me company through many sleepless nights as I often suffer from insomnia , but there are many reasons for wandering the streets , or rooms of a house , when it seems that all the world is asleep  !

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes, I know this poem, Rosie. So very beautifully evocative, and comforting for us insomniacs, with that 'luminary clock' (the moon) not judging us as does the 'watchman'.

    ReplyDelete