Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Themed Freewrite.

I have been asked, nay challenged to do a themed freewrite. Now this is quite alien to me and I wonder if I will actually be able to get into the true spirit of freewriting when I have to stick to a topic ! Lord knows I have enough trouble sticking to the point when I am blogging normally so with the freedom of a freewrite my butterfly mind just soars . I have given myself 15 minutes for this task, let us see if I can fill that time with something worth reading !

So, the theme is coffee, that most beloved of beverages. I realise that you will not all feel the same, some people hate coffee but for me it is nectar, sheer ambrosia and I am most definitely a coffee addict. Many years ago I drank tea almost exclusively and only had coffee in the most awful form, the abomination that is the  instant stuff. Oh how I hate instant coffee, well actually i have found one instant coffee that is acceptable but of course me being me , it isn't widely available  . It's made by the ubiquitous Starbucks and is called Via , i think and is in little sachets and is really just their ground coffee , ground very finely, at least that is what i imagine it to be . I take it with a flask of hot water, to dog shows and on trips sometimes. But, there you see im  flying off on another track again . Yes, I used to drink tea but then I decided to give up full cream milk when I was on one of my healthy kicks, I tried semi skimmed and the skimmed and then gave up entirely . on one of our dog show trips I realised that horrible black coffee from a vending machine is better than horrible black tea and so that was it, a coffee addict was born. Ah, coffee, what can match that indescribable aroma , the nutty brown, chocolately wake-up call, first thing on a morning ? It fills the air and permeates my brain and starts the day. I love mine black, no sugar and strong enough to strip the enamel off your teeth,and I love all types, the glorious roasted,  toasted Brazilian and Colombian beans. The thick, gloopy Turkish coffee, The fresh African blends. It all depends on my mood. Yes moods. hmmmm, have you noticed how coffee slips you into certain moods ? The wakey, wakey, morning mood, grabbed hurriedly on the run, croissant in one hand and your travel mug in the other, flying out the door to join the traffic on the motorway. The convivial coffee, mid-morning with friends, young mums in Costa or Starbucks, leather sofas , baristas  brewing the steaming liquid, cups chinking and the low hum of chattering clients lingering over their double mocha skinny lattes. The takeaway coffees seen in the hands of the high-flyers who brandish the corrugated cups like some sort of badge which says ' i'm in a rush, I'm far to busy to stop, see how important I am ' And , of course the date coffee, the sitting face to face , the sips ,the smiles, the togetherness . Like some sort of courtship ritual , the 'Do you fancy a coffee' the air electric with sexual tension, the brief touching of hands as you reach for the sugar. Or even the ultimate invitation , the 'Would you like to come in for a coffee' with all it's connotations both innocent and otherwise ! And now my time is up.

5 comments:

  1. Mmm… such deliciousness! That 'thick, gloopy Turkish coffee' sounds fantastic, as does a date with you. So, would you like to come in for a coffee?'

    P.S. Your freewriting "style" reminds me of my own, honey. Immaculate punctuation, sentences and addressing your audience. Fancy brewing up some more? #insatiable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment honey. I find it hard to leave the punctuation alone I'm afraid.
      And 'Yes' I would love to come in for a coffee !!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. I hardly ever drink coffee, as I'm not very good at making it, so I never do it enough to improve! Catch 22! I tell you what I can't stand though and it's people trotting around with a paper cup as though their life is so important they can't just sit down and drink the thing! so bloody affected! and another affectation which blows my gasket is all that utter nonsense with menus! for God's sake get a fucking grip! Mocho-choco-skinny-latte-cinnamon-vanilla-with-bells-on! Give me a nice cup of tea, from a pot, made with tea leaves any day! LOL! There, that was practically a free-write too wasn't it? ;) x x x x x x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy, a lovely freewrite. Lol.
      Yes, I've touched on the 'coffee on the go' twits and as for the coffee snobs, well I like mine as I like my men, hot, strong, black, no sugar. Lol x x

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! You should tweet that! Brilliant! "I like my coffee as I like my men......" ha! classic!
      I think it's a sore point with me at the moment, because Bobby and I were both bemoaning the number of paper coffee cups thrown out of car windows earlier! Really pisses me off! and you just know it isn't some high-flier that's running the free world, it's some fat c**t (like me) who's got all day long to sit down in a civilized fashion and drink it from a china cup with that whole cake she'll eat hahahaha! I have built quite a *profile* of the coffee-cup offenders in my head LOL x x x xx x x x xx x

      Delete